You are here
Summer Undergraduate Internship
- Submit application form – Download Word doc or PDF application form.
- A one-page statement of interest
Official copies of all undergraduate transcripts
(Transcripts accepted via e-mail if they are sent directly from the university.)
One letter of recommendation
(Letter of recommendation accepted via e-mail if sent directly from the recommender.)
- For your convenience, IEH accepts all documents as e-mail attachments except for the official transcript.
No Longer Accepting Applications
Due to funding restrictions, only US citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply.
Overview of Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Download Internship Flyer IEH offers paid undergraduate internships headquartered at Oregon Health & Science University’s Marquam Hill campus in Portland, Oregon. Interns receive a stipend of $4,600 and out-of-state students may be eligible for additional housing support at a local apartment complex.
IEH considers applications from undergraduate freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors with backgrounds and majors in biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, environmental science, mathematics, physics, and others. Prior lab/field experience is of interest but not required. Our past interns have come from a wide range of geographic and academic backgrounds, and have worked collaboratively in several innovative projects.
IEH interns engage in leading-edge research to understand and predict biological, chemical and physical processes of the river-to-ocean ecosystem, contributing data and analysis that provide guidance for sustainable ecosystem management. Interns work closely with senior scientists, post-doctoral fellows, and graduate students on interdisciplinary projects ranging from physical and biogeochemical oceanography, molecular biology, analytical chemistry, marine genomics, ocean engineering, and computer science. Students participate in a range of activities including oceanographic research cruises, field trips, and a range of seminars on scientific themes, career opportunities and scientific ethics.
Why be a IEH Undergraduate Intern?
- Engage in hands-on, cutting-edge research
- Work with world-renowned faculty
- Find out what graduate school really is like
- Make connections between the academic and working worlds
- Increase your competitiveness as a candidate for graduate school
- Participate in a program that is transforming science
- Gain a competitive advantage for life, while being paid and having fun!
Summer Internship Dates
Schedule may vary due to academic schedules at home university.
No Longer Accepting Applications.
Oregon Health & Science University
Mail Code HRC3
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road
Portland, OR 97239-3098
For more information, contact us at IEH Education
Phone: (503) 346-3411