You are here

Week One

This week I've learned a lot about RNA isolation from environmental samples. Previously, I had isolated RNA from chicken tissues, but the procedure for this isolation is different. My mentor, Mariya, actually came up with it on her own, which I thought was quite impressive. The protocol takes about one full day to complete; one day I observed how she did it, and then it was my turn... My trial was successful- I was able to isolate RNA from two samples. I hope that as I become more fluent in the procedure, the yield will increase. I also learned the ropes of CMOP and attended the weekly meeting and the journal club meeting. Additionally, Mariya gave me some literature to further investigate my topic.